- Norwegian offers discounted airlines to Europe, as low as $385-$440 round trip for Spring and Fall departures
- Non-stop service from U.S. Cities: Los Angeles, Oakland, New York, Miami, Orlando
- European gateway cities include Oslo, Copenhagen
- Best fares are in the Spring and Fall
- As with discount airlines, meals are extra, carry-on baggage has limitations
- It’s a great way to see Europe in the shoulder/off season if you have schedule flexibility and travel really light
Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA was a regional discount airline in Europe. In 2014, Norwegian started their new Boeing 787 Dreamliner non-stop service from select U.S. Cities to European gateway cities like Copenhagen and Oslo. Since then they added non-stop flights to select European cities such as Paris (CDG, ORY), London (LGW), and Madrid (MAD).
Norwegian current serves the following U.S. cities: New York (JFK, EWR, SWF), Providence (PVD), Ft. Launderdale, Orlando, Las Vegas, Los Angeles (LAX), Oakland (OAK), and Seattle (SEA).
We took a flight from Ft. Lauderdale, FL (FLL) to Paris Orly airport (ORY) in May 2014 and the service was efficient. The Boeing 787 Dreamliner was very comfortable for the 8+ hour non-stop flight.
The best deals can be found any time but the summer months. Norwegian does have occasional sales for more upgraded seats, but their claim to fame is the discounted “LowFare” in the Spring and Fall months. Buy early though, because once they fill a certain amount of seats, their fare prices start to creep up. Here are some example deals, as researched on September 23, 2017.
Example #1. Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LGW) non-stop for May 2018 is as low as $454 round-trip.
Example #2. New York City (EWR) to Paris (CDG) non-stop for May 2018 is as low as $457 round trip.
Example #3. Orlando (MCO) to Copenhagen (CPH) non-stop for May 2018 is as low as $440 round trip.
Amazingly cheap deals, right?
Notice, that for smaller airports like Orlando, flights are only offered a few days a week. In the case of Orlando to Copenhagen (example #3 above), it is offered only once a week. So flexibility in your travel plans is key to taking advantage of these discounted prices.
Sometimes, if Norwegian doesn’t sell enough tickets, especially in the colder month, great deals can be had…
Example #4. Orlando (MCO) to Paris (CDG) non-stop for October-November 2017 is as low as $381 round trip. Incredible, right?
Boeing 787 Dreamliner
Norwegian’s new fleet of Boeing 787 Dreamliners are nice for the 8-9 hours haul over the Atlantic Ocean because the cabin is pressurized to 6,000 feet, instead of the typical 8,000 feet with other airliner. This lower pressure altitude makes you feel better by increasing the oxygen levels in your blood. This reduces symptoms of high altitude “mountain sickness”, with symptoms like headaches, reduced appetite, low energy, nausea, and sleeplessness. Read more about here. For those of you who love to look out the window (like me), its windows are 30% larger and individually dims electrochromically, instead of the old-school vertical pull-down sunshade. It’s like transition lenses. How cool is that?
Meals Are Extra
As with a discount airline, all meals are extra. Snacks and the usual beverages are free. But for such a long flight, be prepared buy food on-board, pack something, buy something before getting to the airport or at the airport.
Again, with a discount airline, there are limitations to carry-on baggage. You can carry two pieces on board like most U.S. domestic flights, but the weight allowance is considerable less:
- Small personal item: such as a purse, handbag, or small backpack that fits under the seat in front of you.
- Carry-on bag: luggage that fits in the overhead compartment.
- Weight limit: if you buy the LowFare ticket, the combined weight for both bags must be less than 10 kg or about 22 pounds. This is where traveling light really pays off!
Checked luggage is complicated. If you pay for checked luggage at the airport, it’s $65 for non-stop flight, $100 for a connection flight. Paying online is cheaper but there’s a schedule based on city pairs. See Norwegian site for more details. Obviously this is where they make some of their money back.
So start saving so you can indulge yourself in a great deal to Europe. The Norwegian Boeing 787 Dreamliners are a great way to get there and back. Bon Voyage!
- Booking.com – Hotels, B&Bs, hostels and other accommodations world wide. Book through our link, stay at the property, and get $25 cash bonus towards a future stay.